Thursday 27 February 2014

It's got to be done soon, doesn't it?


It's -12 C. With the wind-chill, it's -22 C. We are in the midst of a snow squall. March begins on Saturday. And yet, I find it hilarious that just because the sun will set at 6 pm, I believe the grip of winter is weakening. 

I'm not alone. The birds believe it, too. There's no extra food for them but they're singing to beat the band when the sun shines. And suddenly there's an abundance of squirrels in my neighbourhood, gathering dead leaves. Are they re-insulating their drafty nests or are they hoping to make little squirrel babies?

The snow has thawed and refrozen enough times that my front lawn looks and feels like the inside of my freezer. It just has more twigs. I hope. My freezer probably has more drifting pepperoni, though, so we’re even.

Winter has to leave. It’s just not fun anymore. My kids can’t dig snow tunnels or make snowmen out of this stuff. Sledding is an exercise in pain. It’s just tough, granular, immovable junk stuck on everything. In awfully big ugly piles. 

Only the sun can help us now!

No comments:

Post a Comment