Monday 24 March 2014

Look hard...

I saw them.

Five or six of them, together, hiding in plain sight in the sunlit underbrush. I thought I'd heard them earlier, farther away, back on a quieter street, but here they were. Hanging out in a gang, furtively watching me as I walked past on a loud busy corner. They were back.

Turdus migratorus. Harbingers of the second season. Eaters of still-sleeping invertebrates (although only 40% of their diet, I have since learned). Squatters on eavestroughs, poopers on lawn furniture (get that baby a diaper) and a true sign that even though it is -11 C this morning, the White Witch is retreating.

Robins. Red-breasted, the lot of them. I swear it's true. I saw them. All in a posse.

I heard a woodpecker, too. Brownie's honour.






No comments:

Post a Comment