Friday 16 May 2014

True Blue


Why is it that wildflowers are so charming? You go out and spend money on domesticated showy plants, carefully tend them, willingly replace them, forget to water them, hope for them after a hard winter, and they usually do exactly do as you planned. But here we have a lovely jumble of true-blue wee joys, picked in my own backyard (it's a bit weedy right now) by my son's hand and whimsically arranged by he and his sister in a water glass. And it gives me more pleasure than I could have ever expected.

My son (and my daughters when they were his age) would happily pick me a bushel of dandelion heads. He still sees their beauty and I'm awfully glad of that. But I know how rare blue flowers are and we currently have an unexpected bumper crop of them. If I'd grown them myself, I'd freak if he handed me a bouquet like this. But as it is, they are an easily accepted boon of love and of nature. And they make me smile every time I walk into the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. After doing research on these plants, I'm wondering if they're escapees from my neighbours' gardens...still; run free little plants! Chaos theory reigns!

    ReplyDelete