Friday 14 October 2016

An Ode to Spare time

Motherhood has more benefits, blessings, than can be counted. This is a true statement. I know that becoming a mother has been a great boon to me as a human being. But, as I move into seventeen years as a mother, I am beginning to identify one particular deficiency in my life.

This issue is with the ownership of my brain.

Now one would think that with the many demands on your mind that having three children would require, your mind would hone, sharpen and become the perfect tool for solving all of life's problems. Because that's my job, right? I resolve all conflicts, remove all clothing stains, fix all baking disasters and remain beatific throughout. Always.

I'm glad you don't agree. There's too much pressure in that.

However, between working full-time and being a mother and wife, I do find that having time for my own thinking, my own creativity, my own aspirations, is compromised. It's no one's fault. It's just that "my brain is full" before I start. (Yes, I'm picturing Gary Larson's Far Side, too, but found out I can't post it)

Clearly, I need a bigger brain. I'll work on that in my spare time.


No comments:

Post a Comment