Thursday 19 January 2017

The Unwinter


"There's a reward at the end of a hard winter. There's a great longing for spring, an eagerness for warmth and green, an excitement for sightings of crocuses. You feel as if you've earned the right to the rain and mud.

But what about a winter that never was? A few snows, a bit of freezing rain but more thaws and mud than I care to measure; does this equal a winter? Should I be grateful?"

I wrote that in late February of 2016. This photo is of my herb garden. It was taken today. I think my thyme is actually growing. I fear this winter is going to be just the same as last year's. Why bother with a winter season if there is no snow? Hibernation cannot work if even the bugs don't know when to sleep. The temperature has been hovering around a damp 3 Celsius for almost 2 weeks, now.

January; your thaw is up. Let's get on with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment